Sunday, January 23, 2011

Pros and Cons of Male Ear Piercing

Happy Birthday Alex

My eldest son turned 16 today. We took him to linner (lunch/dinner- it was late).
We bought him a video, and
We signed him up for drivers ed

He was very grateful and he enjoys not being the center of attention,
so this low key celebration was perfect for him.

When we arrived home, he tells me in a half joking, half serious way,
"Hey mom, pull out a needle and pierce my ears."

Our quiet birthday celebration became a discussion I wasn't prepared for.

My first response was "NO". I knew he wasn't kidding when he kept trying to convince me to pierce his ears. Then, I had to say, "Let me think about it",
but truly I'm gonna pray about it. What happened to my 'I don't like to be the center of attention child'? IDK....idk

Some of my big reservations are:

Will he be mistreated because he is being misjudged by teachers
and adults?

Is he trying to be cool?

Is he trying to be a tough guy?

Is he falling into peer pressure?

Will the piercing mess up college interviews and getting jobs (he is really
smart and aspires to be a bio-mechanical engineer)?

There are so many social implications that go along with a boy having his ears pierced that I never even had to second guess with my daughter. Just in case you are wondering what his dad said. He said, "NO" quicker than I did initially. He is also worried that
dudes with pierced ears are associated with drugs.

I ask that all my fellow believers please pray, we make the best decision. I am also open to your input. After all in the counsel of many is found wisdom.

Happy Birthday My Son!

Love Ya always!


No comments: